Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Kolkata Revisited.


I am back after a wonderful trip to Kolkatta!Just enjoyed my stay, far from work at office, lazing around at home and in the evening strolling down the streets of old cal, munching on an egg roll(something a bengali or a half blooded one will die for), watching the trams trundling along and the puchkawalas (panipuri hawkers) dishing out their gastronomic treats.With elections coming up, the city was painted red with communist posters and banners.Long processions kept passing by with "zindabad" ringing in the air.

Oh yeah..after a long time I was able to watch the movie Lakshya!!!!Seems very late, but better late than never(Great movie).The old 'adda' friends have shifted base to bangalore and mumbai, so couldn't hang around much with the guys or maybe have a game of cricket!!!I walked through the alleys of New-market, the smell of freshly baked cakes from "Nahums" (bakery) floating in the air and the old Boer war cannon ,standing sentry to the bygone British era at the very centre of the market, as it has stood for 50 years(it will be shifted to the town hall soon).

As usual at this time of the year, it was hot and sticky and getting out of home, was a labour in itself!!Oh yeah, after stuffing myself with all kinds of junk food,I was laid up in bed for 2 days with a stomach upset.Anyway the next day, I was back to stuffing myself with more grub...after all don't know when I can enjoy such stuff again....the hot Rasogollas to the cool Mishti dhoi(sweet curd)....Mutton Biriyani and paav bhaji cooked by mom and Chocolate cakes by my sis(had a hard time convincing her to make it!!)....haaaaaaaa!!!!And of course nothing can beat the panipuris (called puchkas here)..."they just melt in ur mouth".Anyway, 2 days before I was to return, the first showers of the year fell to give a welcome relief from the heat.Oh yeah...the white shirt I was wearing was stained with black polka dots, what with the rain cleaning up the dirt accumulated on the leaves of the trees for more than 4-5 months .Talk about dancing in the rain!!!


So did I spend time eating only?????Hmmm....you can say that!!!You see...It's a Gourmet Affaire!!



Now me back in pune, in front of my dear, old computer....back to square one..but all ready for the next job which could come up any time now....bring it on!!I am ready!!!

P.S: Hmmmm...when do I go home next???? Kolkata..I already miss u!!

10 Comments:

Blogger P.R.A.D said...

Roomie, welcome back !! Rossogullas were great as usual !!

2:06 PM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger Matty said...

Hey man..the Rasogollas were too good...Areyy...next time tell your Kolkatta-Rasogollas makers to bag the gollaas in a easily openable container...;) it is very tedious now to open it..!
and welcome back to the rocking city!

5:15 PM, April 20, 2006  
Blogger zonko said...

I hope I can go back to Kolkata some day myself..


you and cricket? joking right? :P

9:25 AM, April 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thats not fair! : (
what abt meee ???....i too want Rasogollas!! : )


nice to have you back buddy!!

10:07 AM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger kannan udayarajan said...



Im reminded of my home town,Trivandrum.I was there two weeks back and its ditto as i n Calcutta...The city is RED ... its elections there day after tommorow and im going to miss the whole fun...thanks to Tv and net i won't miss it all...


and hey..you seem to have had a gastronomic adventure...

:)

njoy ...

10:35 AM, April 21, 2006  
Blogger ~*. D E E P A .* ~ said...

waaaah !!!

i love rasagollas n rasamalais ... my aunt was brought up in cal ... and she makes great rasagolas ...mmmmmmm

what was the ref to bengalis and egg rolls ? didnt get that ...

i like panipuri but find it a tad too messy ... i stick to bhel / aloo chat

now , get back to work
tc

12:03 AM, April 22, 2006  
Blogger Shikha said...

I missed ur rasgoollas..but i liked sandesh..so when r u going next?:P

12:37 PM, April 24, 2006  
Blogger Ekta said...

puchkas and sandesh!!!!!!!!!
Even I want them...NOW!:-((

12:51 PM, April 27, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

Calcutta..a nice city! Nice one with tradition attached with it!! It was a pride to take the Old & New Howrah bridge to reach Cal..!! Would love to be there when I know someone who can show me places and serve me alongside you too!!

3:09 PM, April 28, 2006  
Blogger Anoop said...

Prad:Nice to know that:)

Matty:The harder it is to open, the sweeter is the golla;)

Zonko:Hmmm...u still havent forgiven me for the boundarywhich i stopped huh???

Kannan:Of course....it was one heck of an adventure!!!

Deepa:The ref was that at any street corner in kolkatta there will be a roll shop with a huge gathering of people...we wait for hours in a queue to taste those lovely rolls!!

Niki chan:I had a nice weekend....went to GOA;)

Shikha: I had brought for u also..but guess i kep them at the wrong place!!Next time,,,, definitely a tin!!

Ekta:thats a wee bit difficult, right???

BAlaji:Always game man:)

4:30 PM, May 02, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home