Sunday, February 26, 2006

Interview jitters!!!


Have you ever closely watched people just before they enter an exam hall or interview?Normally, you don't pay attention, cause you too are one of them, all jittery and nervy. However, yesterday on a Sunday morning, I was exactly able to view a group of such people who were waiting for an interview which would determine whether they would get into a reputed software company out here in Pune.With an onsite opportunity as soon as they joined, the stakes were a little high.What was I doing there other than attending the interview??? I had come with one of my friends, who being not much familiar with the Pune roads, had asked me to accompany him.

Anyway we reached the place with half an hour to spare. As soon as I entered the lounge, I made a note of the pantry cause with 3 hours to while away, what way better than test the coffee machines in this posh office!!!

Some of the people had already arrived and as I had nothing better to do, I went to get a cup of coffee!!! As I came back from the pantry, I noticed a guy going through some JAVA book. With people whispering to each other, Mr. Java was finding it difficult to study, and after giving a look of irritation, he moved into an adjoining, empty waiting room, as if we would be the sole reason if he did not make through the interview.I was really impressed with the guy's concentration. However, after some time he came out to get a cup of coffee and on his way back, he met a lady who had just walked in.It seemed they were acquainted before.Anyway, they went into the waiting room, the book disappeared into his bag and a critical analogy of Pune buses and traffic started which went on for some time, until his name(don't remember what!!) was called out 3 times to report for the interview.

Another guy with a flop of hair, reminded me of Jack-in-the-box, as he kept going to the pantry or to the restroom every 10 minutes!!!

A guy who seemed to be older than the rest kept tapping his chin with his fingers.As soon as the phone rang at the receptionist's desk, which would announce the next candidate, the beat of the tapping would increase and then decrease, when someone else's name was called out.

Another guy was poring through a notebook, in which he had made some notes, while a set of guys had collected near the vending machine, discussing about what questions could be asked.

My friend's name was called and after giving him a thumbs up, I moved into the pantry to check out the various beverages and the snacks.Some gave me a startled look, cause I was the only guy who was testing all the snacks as well as looked cool and composed.Anyway, my friend came out and then again rushed in for the H.R. interview.

After 10 minutes , he came out and whoopie!!!He had got the job.People looked at us with some new found request.We savoured the moment and then walked out....Mission accomplished!!!!



P.S. My friend will be leaving in 3 weeks. Will miss him, cause he is a great guy, but then he deserves this job. Fortunately, he will be in Pune itself, so I can still keep in touch with him. Hey! Matty ....all the best man!!!

12 Comments:

Blogger Shikha said...

Staying cool during interviews really help..but i dont feel tooo confident about my future interviews!

4:26 PM, February 27, 2006  
Blogger Matty said...

I am very thankful to Anoop to accompany me for the interview. We are staying in one corner of Pune and the interview venue was there on the extreme other side. Since I am not familiar with Pune roads and also the language, I asked help from him.

Generally on weekends, most of the people want to spend their time in freaking out (or) playing games or in taking rest at home....But this guy came with me even though he has not slept well for the last 5 days. See.. such a kind hearted guy…!!! He remembered my college friends. Without him I would have gone to the interview hall with much tensed and may be I would have lost it. So he is one of the key behind my success…. He was the first person with me to share my happiness.

I won't…. sorry…..I can't forget this help in my life...Thanks dude.. for being my wonderful friend!!!

5:19 PM, February 27, 2006  
Blogger P.R.A.D said...

HEY, i'M THE FIRST GUY TO COMMENT !! Hey Matty will surely be missed !! By the way,so it was the pantry episode dat made u spend more time than usual in the restroom today is it ??

6:35 PM, February 27, 2006  
Blogger zonko said...

What's this post about?

I thought a blog was supposed to enrich the reader's perception of the world. Provide insight. Provide information. Provide entertainment.

But provide a boring detail of a boring day watching guys read Java?

Yo.

2:03 AM, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Anoop said...

Shikha: Well!! they are better than the vivas we had at college!!

Matty:Baap Re!!!

Prad: Don't u have anything better to do than counting how much time I spend in the restroom!!

Zonko: Hey a critical comment from a genuine writer- food for thought:)Right said mate-It was a boring day, but I just wanted to share my friend's experience of getting a great job as well as about pre-interview jitters which vary from people to people!!!!Will keep ur advice in mind!!!

11:19 AM, February 28, 2006  
Blogger P.R.A.D said...

Matty : Me too Baap Re !! De emotiona Koraida !!

12:37 PM, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok anoop looks like u were Matty's Good Luck Charm...
Ur blog reminded me of the various interviews i had attended as a fresher....

2:31 PM, February 28, 2006  
Blogger kannan udayarajan said...

Ok so Matty got the job and Anoop got the "thanks'...when am i getting the treat?

6:18 PM, February 28, 2006  
Blogger Matty said...

Thanks niki...

Mr. Kannan sir..definitely you will get the treat..!!!
But before that, when is your marriage treat?????

8:28 PM, March 01, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

Well I think I am probably among the last to comment. But this is with an update though. Today I had accompanied Matty to collect the offer letter.With the date decided,counting the days my roomie will stay with us would be a painful reminder of the past.
Go Anoop go.
Smile,
Bala

8:49 PM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Balaji said...

Matty got his O-Letter today. I went with him today. So he is really counting his days with us.
I wish his good luck...

Smile,
Bala

8:51 PM, March 02, 2006  
Blogger Pandhu said...

hey nice post...very funny. i am real bad at observing ppl.. hahaa..
always wanted to just it and look at ppl. i think i will do that one day.
Cheers mate.

9:10 PM, March 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home