Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Indian PMs Vision!!

This was how the Indian Prime Minister concluded his speech during the No trust confidence motion debate which was held to decide about the Indian Government's plan to sign the nuclear deal with the US. Wish all politicians had this vision. Neither am I a big fan of the PM nor his critic but I was impressed with what he had to say.....

"I have often said that I am a politician by accident. I have held many diverse responsibilities. I have been a teacher, I have been an official of the Government of India, I have been a member of this greatest of Parliaments, but I have never forgotten my life as a young boy in a distant village.

Every day that I have been Prime Minister of India I have tried to remember that the first ten years of my life were spent in a village with no drinking water supply, no electricity, no hospital, no roads and nothing that we today associate with modern living. I had to walk miles to school, I had to study in the dim light of a kerosene oil lamp. This nation gave me the opportunity to ensure that such would not be the life of our children in the foreseeable future.
Sir, my conscience is clear that on every day that I have occupied this high office, I have tried to fulfill the dream of that young boy from that distant village.

The greatness of democracy is that we are all birds of passage! We are here today, gone tomorrow! But in the brief time that the people of India entrust us with this responsibility, it is our duty to be honest and sincere in the discharge of these responsibilities. As it is said in our sacred texts, we are responsible for our actions and we must act without coveting the rewards of such action. Whatever I have done in this high office I have done so with a clear conscience and the best interests of my country and our people at heart. I have no other claims to make."

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh
July 22nd, 2008

1 Comments:

Blogger Shikha said...

At the risk of sounding like a cynic,i wonder who wrote the speech

2:24 AM, July 26, 2008  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home